Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Tokyo Cover Girls By Jackie Amsden

I was approached by a young woman who saw one of my reviews on the book Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard. She asked Ashley and I if we would be willing to read her book. Of course we jumped at the chance. You will be seeing my review as well as Ashley's.

Jess, a seventeen year old model who was no stranger to the business. She was known as what the industry calls "commercial" She is a force to be reckoned with. Modeling is not her first love but she is doing it to save up for law school and in Tokyo she could make double what she could in the U.S.

Hailey, also seventeen. a sweet yet ditzy girl coming from an overprotective family wants to be a famous designer. For her modeling is her foot in the door to begin designing high fashion.

Blake, a gorgeous bombshell of a girl based out of Sacramento CA. She comes from a rough home life and models to make money and get the hell out of dodge.

These three girls are ready for the ride of their life, but the ride is the scariest one you can imagine. After being asked to participate in a competition by a company called Satsujin these girls will be tested in ways they never imagined and sometimes competition can be deadly...

Oh. My. Gosh!! This book was absolute genius. It was somewhat reminiscent of the Pretty Little Liars collection as it had the same unknown entity, fierce girls who are looking for answers in all the wrong place, mystery, mayhem and high fashion. I really liked all of the characters and felt myself connecting with each one in some way. Each girl added something much needed to their groups dynamic. Although the girls friendship didn't flourish until later on you can tell that they were not shallow or dumb. they were three girls trying to survive. This book had twist after twist and I could not for the life of me keep up as to what was going to happen. The ending was such a cliffhanger that I am hoping for more!

The only thing I had a hard time with was the setting. I am very unfamiliar with Japanese culture and only know little bits and pieces from Ashley so some of it was able to understand. The rest was nothing I had ever really read about. However, I love that it was set in such a well known place that wasn't in the United States. It added a whole new dimension to the story.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars, thumbs up what have you. This is a book that needs to be sent to Harper Collins to be published. It was a work of sheer brilliance. I recommend it to anyone who loves a good mystery, with some girl power added for good measure. Jackie, this is truly a wonderful book and I am honored that you requested I read it! Cannot wait to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment