Sunday, July 2, 2017

Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova

Hey readers! It is another beautiful sunday and I just finished Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova! This is a spoiler free review!

Synopsis: "Alex is a Bruja, the most powerful witch in a generation...and she hates magic. At her Deathday celebration, Alex performs a spell to rid herself of her power. But it backfires. Her whole family vanishes into thin air leaving her alone with Nova, a Brujo boy she cant trust. A boy whose intentions are as dark and strange as the markings on his skin. The only way to get her family back is to travel with Nova to Los Lagos, a land in between, as dark as limbo and as strange as wonderland."

Okay... As many of you know I am a crazy witch fanatic, so when I saw this was a whole new take on witches I had to read it! Let me start by say thing that this story was magnetic! The characters, I found to be so relatable, minus the Bruja thing :) Alex is just a normal girl still trying to figure herself out and find her place in the world. I absolutely loved her family and all their eccentricties. Each character was unique in their own way and really added depth to Alex as a girl, sister, daughter and friend.
The element of surprise was used so much in this story that I found myself shocked with every page. I had no idea where it was going to go and I found myself gasping every so often.

I only had one problem with this story and that was our villain The Devourer. I wont tell you who she is and why she does what she does (no spoilers remember) but I found her character to be quickly forgotten. I knew that she was our conflict and that she would pop up at the worst times for Alex but I found her too be a bit bland. When you hear the title The Devourer you think of a true villain but she was not as insidious as she sounded.

Overall this book was a 4.5 star read for me. If you are as into witches as I am, then you will really enjoy this book. The concept of these Mexican witches called Brujas is such a refreshing twist on what we have a preconceived idea of.



No comments:

Post a Comment